Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Post Surgery

Good evening,
Its been quite an experience for me to go from a intense day of work last Sunday the 14th in which I wrote and delivered 11 appraisals, oh yes many given excellent help by Jessy who performed so well last week.
Nikki and I drove to Keary SF and arrive at 4:45 on Monday morning, 30 minutes early.  I had slept from 9 pm until 2:45 and was in a state of unbelief and terror.  I had no clear mandate that I would wake from the surgery, I mean the odds are good and to not do the surgery would relegate my life to a constant flirtation with blood clots and heart failure. 
So I did what I've done many times before, when faced with stark reality I just walk forward trusting that a loving and forgiving God knows what is best for the next chapter.
Jason walked up just as Nikki and I were walking to the hospital admitting.  We three faced it with humor, terror and a hope that there would be more yet to come for Tim Mustard, that Tim and Moon would become a happy couple in the future, that I would wake from surgery to life.
I did wake to life and to a passage of needles, tubes, kind Philipino support staff and a little room that resembled motel 6, by afternoon I was up sitting in a chair for a couple hours, by evening I was walking down the hall, the entire night was filled with bright lights, shouts, yells and unreality, my phone had disappeared, when found it was dead, Nikki had to leave but Jason was there and I had no idea of what was taking place other than intense pain in my chest, tubes draining blood, offers of food, noise....
Gradually faces emerged, kind and loving faces, shots, blood draws, temperature swipes intense pain from a hospital bed I could not control.  BUT I was alive and everyone said the surgery was a huge success.
Whenever someone suggested I could walk I would just say yes and I found that could walk fast with no shortness of breath, no dizziness, no problem other than my bottom totally exposed to others in the hallway, soon you don't care.
There was anger from the staff, I was not to try to sit up, stand up, take a step on my own, I had to ask every time and if I did not then their feelings were hurt badly.
Soon I could manage my phone, could text and talk to Moon for a few minutes so she know we were good for the future and she prayed so hard and was so positive, I won't forget her faithfulness day and night.  Friends called, sometimes I could answer the phone or the texts, work people called and I ignored, I had nothing to offer.
BUT I was overwhelmed with just one fact!  I was alive and that continues to be the overriding fact that thrills my heart.  I am not only a survivor but I am really alive, strong, healthy and every day, every hour is better, yes I hurt like hell part of the time, after all someone took a skill saw to my chest and cut it open then wired it shut with titanium wire coils, I've learned to appreciate dedicated health pros who really do care in spite of a crazy system and paperwork deeper than an elephants eye.
Saturday was full of questions, would I be allowed to get into Jo and Jason's van and be driven home or not, differences of opinion between doctors about a possible infection kept us in limbo but I did leave and we made it home.  Jason, Clayton, Mia, Timothy and Jo gave me a very enjoyable trip home through impossible traffic.  I walked in to Jerry and a super clean house, I'd had it cleaned during the week and its perfect.
Clayton and Jerry watch over me carefully, keep track of meds, great meals, rest time, my showers and keep it real, we walk every day, we drive to Safeway, we fix things, we enjoy Jerry's puppies and clayton has everything working well on the TV.
But my family and friends, I am so grateful to a loving and powerful God, He has granted me an extension of my life, I am alive.
Tomorrow I'll do my first appraisal with Jerry at my side and we will gradually start the process o starting to work.  On Sunday evening renters come to pick up the motorhome for Burning man and that money helps cover the bills, so thankful for everything.  Moon and I walk often and are both quietly very excited about a future that waits us now.
Good night my friend, my family, my world.  Thank you for your faithfulness, your prayers and you being there.
All a hearts love to each and every one of you.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment