Monday, February 6, 2017

Wreck on the Levee Road

Dear Family and Friends,

This afternoon as I was driving back home from Stockton the car in front of me suddenly veered to the right, went off the road, struck a tree, had a fireball of flame, kept plowing down the edge of the levee and landed in the canal.  No one else was in sight, I was the only one that saw it.  I pulled off the road onto the narrow area beside the lane and the downsloping levee.  I called 911 and after three tries reached the Highway Patrol, then I turned to helping the young man and woman who was driving. Eventually they figured out how to get to shore by throwing a big speaker box into the water and standing on it.
Soon they were standing with me and told me they did not need the police, they put some papers and a backpack in my trunk as the California Highway Patrol pulled up.  Soon it got strange, they had no insurance, they had no driver's license, then the patrol officer told me I was free to go so I left, I gave the two my card and they said they would call me later so they could get their stuff back.
when I got home I looked at the papers, dozens of wet pages with names and credit card information and two checks, uncashed.  But the shock came when I saw that one check was made out by my friend and the builder of my home some 30 years ago.  I tried to reach him but no answer.
This evening the lady driver of the car called to see if I could drop off their stuff at a hotel room in Stockton.  Before I left I took some photo copies of some of the papers including the checks.
At the hotel I returned papers, was invited in for pizza, I declined.  I think I happened upon a ring of thieves.
Later I was able to speak to my builder friend who had written the check.  He said someone had broken a window out of on of his workers pickups and stolen tools and papers including that check.
How amazing that I happened to witness the accident, they left the check in my trunk, I was able to photocopy it and this evening before the knew the details I had returned all the papers to them in a hotel room in Stockton.
Now the Highway Patrol knows the details, the hotel room and perhaps is taking action.  I don't know but I know its been a very interesting afternoon for sure.
Once again tonight its raining and the phone just rang, it was Connie, my friend who is married to Art and they are driving to my home to park in my driveway this evening in their motorhome.  Connie's sister is recently married to a very sweet man who is in the battle of his life with cancer, he is up in Davis Medical Center and they will leave the motorhome here and drive up to spend the day with their loved ones.  They are about 80 miles away yet so won't get it for awhile on this rainy nasty night.
I'm sipping hot chocolate and going to complete a report before I give up for the night.

Sending love to all, life has many boring days and then some very interesting ones too.  God bless you all.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment