Monday, September 3, 2012

The Holiday is over....

Dear Family and Friends,
I'm going to start with a big event that is pictured here.........

Jo just text ed to say that Mia is in her new bed tonight and of course we all hope she actually stays in the bed all night.  Isn't she just too cute?  Notice she is surrounded by little animals who will keep her safe, they along with the angels watch over our little ones every night.

Today  I woke to a cool morning so ventured out to the deck to move piles of rotted wood that we've removed from the deck beside the spa.  It looked terrible and I can only stand a mess for so long, I really dislike clutter when it become all one can see.  So I moved lots of decaying boards along with some redwood that has really stood the test of time, over 30 years old and still going strong.  Those boards I'll keep and try to make use of them.  It is a bit frustrating to have the spa clean, pumping strong and totally ready for use except for a tiny little thing, the heater will not work.  Ray has it hooked up but the output from the primary transformer is only about 13 volts and needs to be 24 before the heater will open the gas line, ignite the gas and start heating the spa.  Oh I can't wait, I was tempted to climb in today but its only 70 degrees and I'm not sure my heart can take that for long.

Once I finished moving wood I set my sights on yet another project, installing a new ceiling fan in my master bedroom suite.  The new fan is more up to date and most importantly has a remote so I can change the speed of the fan while in bed. 

The challenge was this, the bed sits high, it is a sleep by number bed we purchased for Nan after surgery #4 when she could no longer cope with the wood frame around our water bed.  She wanted it and we of course got it for her.  She loved it every day the rest of her life.  But the fan is directly over the bed, how does one get high enough to work on taking the old one down and yet not fall over, I ended up standing up in my bare feet but could only stand the pain for a few minutes, then would have to rest.  The old one fought me but eventually gave up and came down, a couple hours later I started installing the new one.  The instructions were clear to a point but getting the controller for the remote to fit when the cap went on proved impossible.  Finally after rewiring it I got the cap in place but when we switched the wall switch nothing happened, that is when I noticed that the clock was no longer lit, I had blow the circuit breaker!

So rewiring was in order, the challenge was the people who built the home only allowed about 3 inches of very stiff wife, it was very tough to wire nut the connecting wire and then get the wire nut pushed back into the junction box and out of the way without coming loose.  Once I unwired the three wires I discovered I had used the red wire and not the black one. So I capped off the red wire and pushed it out of the way, made a connection with the black and white wires, extended them a bit with a short piece of wire so we could work and then jammed the controller through the ceiling mount and finally after many tries got the cover pushed up and into place.  This time when we switched the wall switch to on and used the remote the light came on, then the fan came on.  Yea!

There is one tiny little problem, we discovered that when we have the fan on in the master it also turns on the ceiling fan in the family room below, well all I have to do is change the little switches on the controller and the remote, but you guessed it, that means taking the cap off and switching a switch to select a new code.  I'm not really anxious to climb back on the bed and working between the blades of the fan loosen the cover and change the code, then fight it back on again without dislodging the wires!  Another day for that chore.

I now have a beautiful fan that I can work while I'm in bed and of course that was the goal.  The old fan had failed and the three lights with glass bezels were swinging just on the wires, no mechanical connection held them in place anymore, probably not that safe.

After sweating my way through these projects and a walk to the park I was ready to sit in a hot tub.  Since the one outside is 70 I chose the alternative jetted tub in my bathroom.  It felt great and I'm not as sore as I was before I went in.  I found XM music through my IPHONE so had some quiet music while I soaked.

How I would like to share this with someone.  Not complaining but my heart really yearns for a fellow traveler, a lover, a friend, hopefully a musician, someone to go to the symphony with, to have quiet dinners, to enjoy the lake and cool mornings at the Bistro Table.

Well for now I wish each of you a productive week, one where your goals become realities.  One in which you enjoy the love of a friend, a spouse, your children and your God.

Love

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment