Sunday, April 6, 2014

Visiting Gerry

Today dawned bright and clear and soon I was out charging along like I do above a walk and not quite a run.  I actually see little as my head is down and I'm racing along, that is until the dumb dog stops so she can smell this or that, oh she tried my patience but she does not seem to care.

I knew Jessy was coming today, my part time office helper.  She was coming as a favor to get the office in order and she certainly did.

I was destined to drive up to Lincoln today to see my ailing friend Gerry Lammerding.  He has been a fellow traveler to Hawaii several times, on cruises, on visits to his cabin at Tahoe dozens of times, for many visits when Nan was ill.  Barb and Gerry have been friends since we arrived in Sacramento to youth pastor the church.  What a great blessing their friendship has been.

You know how you pray for someone every day and after a while it seems like it has become a routine but has less meaning.  Well I've prayed for Gerry every day for many months since it was found that he was suffering from Congestive Heart Failure.  Now the condition has become much more serious and his ability to do things has been greatly reduced.  Michael, their younger son, is with them for a couple months and its certainly kind of God to allow him to be there.  Along with Barbie, Barbie's sister Marilyn and other friends they have provided Gerry with a support system that along with Hospice is giving Gerry all the help he needs during this tough time.

I enjoyed my time with all of them so much and was able to sit with Gerry, to talk Mustangs, planes, trips, people and his current state as well.  Barbie and Marilyn made a delicious lunch and we all ate and fellowshipped. I left mid afternoon knowing Gerry needed rest.  While not easy to see a friend in trouble its far better to go than not to go, I went and I'm thankful I did.  Barb and Gerry came so many times to be with Nan and help with her trips to radiation or whatever.  GREAT friends for ever and eternally.

On my way home I had a chance to talk with my friend and just hearing her voice was such a lift.  She sounded fine and was checking in on me to see how I was doing in her absence.  Well while I miss her I'm committed to doing fine, have lots of work to do and I know God will watch over her so I'm pretty much at peace.  Still it was so good to hear the voice and the smiles in her voice as we talked.

Jason texted to say that Timothy rode his bike for the first time today without trainer wheels.  That is a great accomplishment for sure.  I can remember when Jason took off for the first time so long ago. Jason is enjoying having his family back, I can tell.

I'm including a photo I snapped a few minutes ago with the iphone as I sat here at my desk.  While it does not show much weight loss it still is still my current look.  Tomorrow I check into contact lenses.  I have glasses that get darker in the sun but never dark enough to really protect my eyes so I drive around for hours every day with my eyes squinting.  With contact lenses I can wear normal real sunglasses and cut the glare so much more and I saw that at Walmart they are cheap.  Well cheap is good!

Here is hoping for lots of work for all of us this week.  I'm seeking to know God's will for this week.

Please pray that I will know what I'm doing on so many different levels, so personally and professionally.

Love to all

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment