Monday, April 11, 2011

A Unique Encounter

Dear Fellow Travelers,

This morning started with a rather rude buzzing sound, it was the alarm clock reminding me I had an appointment with two very precious little girls.  So the morning started.  After the normal give and take between the two very headstrong girls, Kallie and Keanna they were finally at their places for the day. At that point I felt pretty awful, chest hurt, head was aching, its been much the same for days now as the allergies really set in.  So after a small breakfast I set to work in the office finishing up on research.  Then I took the short drive to nearby Bethel Island, a water front community that has existed for nearly 100 years.

I was not prepared for what would happen next.  As I began to measure a slightly lady came out and greeted me, almost immediately we fell into conversation and I learned that she lost her beloved husband 10 years ago.  As we talked we discovered many of the same feelings, the bittersweet memories of caring for our treasured spouses and finally facing the cold world without them, how no one really understands unless they have been there.  So the rest of the inspection of the property was a delight.  She has been a traveling professor of sociology and toured the world lecturing in many different universities in many countries.  She is also quite a painter and sculptor and communicates very well.  It was one of those perks that come with the job, of meeting a fine person that you would never ever meet otherwise.  Will I see her again, I doubt it but for a moment our lives crossed and we could understand what the other person has experienced and felt.

After completing the Bethel Island appraisal I drifted back toward home and stopped at the Subway shop for a garden burger patty sandwich.  It was great and along with some baked chips and a freshly brewed ice tea a total respite from the rush of the day.

This afternoon I settled in to complete a desk review of an appraisal that was recently completed in Livermore and then picked up Keanna.  She worked on some very difficult homework and is so excited about the state testing that is about to happen to her class room.  I never knew a child could be so excited about a state test but her teacher has done a great job of preparing the kids to look forward to the challenge and adventure of the test.  So much for those who want us to believe that testing is a waste of time or detrimental to the child.  I don't think so at all.

Eventually we met Nikki at the gas station and Keanna went her way.

This evening I drove to Rio Vista, a 40 minute drive by the Sacramento River, across the bridge and to the Trilogy 55 and over subdivision.  I met the owners, a nice couple who had lots of dancing ribbons and trophies from their dancing careers.  He also had loads of trophies from horse shoes which he has played all his life.  Their home was cute and opened directly onto a golf course, no fence, no barriers, their lawn flowed into the golf course.  Very nice.

Well not its time to close down shop for the day.  Starr says she wants to go sit in the chair for a few minutes and sip a hot drink.

Love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment