Sunday, July 1, 2012

Home

Dear Family and Friends,
I've had the most incredible weekend.  On Friday I drove down in the afternoon and arrived at 4:11 for a 4 pm rehearsal, what a beautiful place amoung the ancient redwoods but there were workmen all over the place putting finishing touches on everything.  The barn that had been transplanted from the east coast was far from done but by dark it was all in shape.

I spend the night in a condo that Barb and Gerry had rented.  I had my own room, the window opened at my head and cool air gave me a great nights rest.  I woke early but decided to pray and just think, I woke again at 8 and got up, took a little walk and came back.  Later in the morning we walked to a little cafe and had a delicious breakfast.  After that I went back to the condo and tweaked on the sermon for the wedding for a couple more hours.  I would print, read, change but finally I was relieved to call it finished.

When doing a wedding a lot hangs on the shoulders of the preacher as he is the one who keeps all the people working property through the service.

The support crew had 120 chairs in place on the cobble stone area which also had a cobble stone retaining wall that curved around where the wedding party stood.  Behind us were 200 foot high redwood trees creating shade with sunlight sneaking through here and there.  We started late as it was difficult to find parking for all the cars.  We were at the end of a one lane road that wound through the hills and valleys for nearly a mile after leaving the main narrow road.  So about 6 we started and the friends and family were really onboard to enjoy the service.  Jeni and Tim had written a lengthy story of how they fell in love each from their own perspective.  I read those accounts and it brought everyone up to speed and into the love story that was unfolding.

By the feedback afterwards I think the service was appreciated, I felt reasonable good about it and I know Tim and Jeni were jazzed by how it went.  Jeni is a beautiful girl anyway and of course in her simple but stunning wedding dress she looked wonderful.  Tim is a very good looking guy as well with dark complexion, a full head of black hair and a handsome face.  They both love to mountain bike, to hike, to chop wood and to do athletic things so they are both very much on the same page as they face life together.

The food was incredible throughout, after the service there were tables loaded with tasty snacks, an area created for drinks, and the staff moved the 120 chairs to a newly created sod level area where tables waited.  After awhile dinner was served and it was great with selections for everyones tastes.  Then there were toasts and speeches, Dennis, father of the bride was just wonderful in his comments. 

Then the group moved back up the hill to the barn where a video and slide show of their lives from being born to now was shown. Dennis created it and did a super job.  A DJ played music and I discovered that Jeni can really dance, in fact she and Tim made it look easy as they were so graceful and light on their feet.  Eventually they cut the several cakes and fed each other, there was more dancing and finally I had them find the marriage license.  We signed and then I headed toward home.

Upon arriving I discovery that Ronnie and Dana were still up, I startled Dana when I came through my office door.  Ronnie had been bumped from one flight and then was held on the plane for over an hour waiting for a thunder storm to pass before he even left Houston.  Dana did not know of the holdup so waited with two hungry boys at the airport for hours until he arrived.  Then they found Mimi's and the boys ate everything on the table.

Tomorrow afternoon we'll caravan to Jason's with the motorhome, towing the bug, I'll set up the motorhome, get it level and then using the bug drive back home so i can work.  They will stay there for a couple days enjoying the Boardwalk and the Monterey Bay Aquarium and probably come back on Wednesday the 4th.

At this point the writer of this blog fell asleep since it is 1:22 in the morning.

Love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment