Sunday, June 6, 2010

Adventure

Dear Reader,
Friday did not go real well and I finally got out of town with the motorhome, trailer and paddle boat about 7.  The trip was going nicely until on a straight stretch of Highway 99 people began passing me and pointing to the trailer.  I stopped as quickly as I could and found that I had NO boat, just one strap left hanging.  Thinking that the motorists passing by had been concerned about the free strap in the trailer I began to retrace my steps and ended up driving all the way back to Discovery Bay, a 30+ mile detour.  I found no boat as I drove and began to steel myself to never seeing it again.  I left again from Discovery Bay just before dark, about 8:30 and kept my eyes watching for signs of a crash or a broken paddle boat.  When I neared the place where the pointing had taken place I slowed as much as I could without causing a traffic jam.  I had talked to God and let Him know I knew this was not a very important thing to be asking about but I also told him I was trying to do a good thing, to share the boat with a lot of people that never got out on the water, well in His humor he suddenly pointed my eyes to a fast passing white streak in the bushes, buried almost totally out of sight.  Again I made a hurried stop, got off the highway and began to try to backup in the dark, not such a great idea as the little trailer kept heading for the slow lane of traffic, horns resulted.  Finally I stopped, put on the flashers and started walking back with my trusty flashlight until I reached the boat.  Expecting to see broken pieces I found instead a boat that appeared to have no damage at all.  It was just sitting the weeds having been stopped by them from going 55 mph.  I began to pull it out of the weeds and was amazed and thrilled that it appeared to be in good condition.  Then I gazed down the road to where the motorhome blinked in the distance. Moving the boat is usually a two person process at least.  I was short a person, I silently thanked the good Lord for spin class, for exercises and for better fitness than the old days.  I grabbed the boat and started dragging, I would drag as far as my breath would last, then stop and rest, finally after many surges and stops I reached the trailer, stepped right up into it and pulled the boat into place.
Having retrieved it I was not about to let it get away again so I found a new bundle of nylon rope and cut a short piece off the end and lashed the front handle of the boat to the trailer, then I started to lace the rope over the boat and around the arms of the trailer until it was very very secure.  Only then did I restart my trip in ernest.  From that point on I kept the little TV camera that shows up in the dash on the mirror on so I could see it at every minute.  At 11:33 the GPS guided me to my campsite and I backed it in and went to bed after hooking up the electrical power at the post.  Of course Sabbath morning I was awake at 6:30 so hoped up, shall we say ambled up and took a nice long walk with the doggies who were more than ready.

Sabbath was a glorious day if a little warm.  We had a great breakfast and then attended a Sabbath School in the round with Bruce leading out, then after a break the pastor spoke and that was followed by a baptism in the cold cold lake.  It was a short service!

Lunch was produced by everyone and it was incredible.  The paddle boat had been unloaded first thing Sabbath morning and it never stopped being used until dark that night.  Adults and kids alike had great fun and some went great distances which is no easy process when you are doing it all by cranking your legs.

In the evening after the heat of the day people makes hotdogs and smores over a charcoal fire, sang songs into the night and enjoyed the cool breezes that finally found us.

This morning was another community meal.  I try to figure out what I can contribute without causing food poisoning!  This morning I broke out the Belgium Waffle maker and made dozens of waffles and at Becky's suggestion used the motorhome oven to keep them warm.  They certainly made a hit and were gone long before the meal was.  I took fresh strawberries and black berries with whipped cream for a topping.

Knowing I had a full plate of work at home I left after breakfast.  The guys helped carry the paddle boat back to the trailer, we lashed it down and the trip home was UNEVENTFUL!  Once I got home I did not unpack but came in and went to work on these 4 critical appraisals.  As of now I have two gone and will have yet another one finished tonight.  The final one will be done in the morning and then I'm off to San Francisco to see a condo at around 1 pm.

This has been one of those quick yet very rewarding escapes from routine.  I've just spent a weekend with some of the world's nicest people, kind, funny, devoted, caring and mentally sharp.  It was a win win for me as I got to play with my favorite toy again, the motorhome, to share the paddle boat, to get sun burned, well fed and relaxed for the week ahead.  Thanks for allowing me two days without a blog.  Once I had lost the boat I came very close to just staying home and giving up on the trip, now I'm glad I didn't.

Love to all

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment