Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A day of challenges but with Joy, Keanna

Dear Family and Friends,
Today the hits just kept on coming, however there were moments of great enjoyment as well.

I finally finished the big one and emailed it out this morning, now they want a birds eye view of the property and the legal records to be included, not even sure how to do that so I'll learn something tomorrow I guess.

I took the motorhome in at 9:30 to see what possible fixes there were for the slide out leaking.  I'm so proud of the owners of Roadrunner RV.  They have moved into a store front with all kinds of RV things for sale and have a very active repair shop as well.  They took a look and said they could fix it with adding a 6 inch wide piece of rubber over the entire leaking area so when the slide is open rain would be kept out.  But I had to run to an appointment. 

When I rang the door bell I was not prepared for who answered.  She was lovely, soft spoken and said she worked at home, her husband also worked at home and has an office on the second floor.  The home was huge, 4,700 sf, perfect in every way and the visit was a great joy.  I'll not forget Amy soon, I told someone I wanted to find one of those just 30 years older!

Once I finished the appraisal it was time to pick up Keanna.  She came running saying hi to many kids.  She was so happy to see me again, its been weeks since I was able to be there, either due to illness or being away or being busy.  We went to McDonalds and got her food, then went to Strawhat where she likes to use quarters to buy little toys from the vending machines.  They had a small cheese pizza made by accident and gave it to me so I had it along with a very nice salad.

Then we raced home and I tweaked things on the motorhome to get ready to take it back to have the repairs done tomorrow morning.  We we got there they decided they could do it today so they put two men on it and did a beautiful job of repairing it.  While I was there I priced batteries and they were $135 each and $66 for installation.  That seemed high so I didn't make that plunge.  After the motorhome was repaired I took Keanna to a school in Oakley where she attended a huge Girl Scouts event.  I was able to leave her there as other mothers were there and Nikki was coming to collect her.

On the way home I stopped at Napa Auto and got battery prices.  By this time I'd taken a call from Brentwood Transmission. They told me that not only did I need to pay for a new starter at $265 but also needed a new battery for $243.  I hit the ceiling.  That is just too much for a battery.  So I was shopping for a replacement battery for the bug and two for the motorhome.  I ended up at another auto parts store I like as they carry Interstate Batteries which I think are amoung the best out there.  There price for the coach batteries was $110 each for two and $120 for the bug.  I'll go back in the morning to get the bug one and later get the two for the motorhome.  No way was I going to pay over $200 for a battery for the bug.  When I talked to Stan the owner he mentioned that they marked their batteries up quite a bit, no kidding.

So every turn today ended up costing more money, money that is very precious and rare.  Yet I am thankful for the work that keeps checks in the mail, another small one came today for which I am very thankful.

Keanna is such a joy to have around.  She enjoyed riding in the motorhome, she said she felt like a queen when we stopped and she got off, funny kiddo and she loved doing her homework and eating her jello at the table as we drove along.  So tonight the big appraisal is completed, the motorhome no longer leaks (I hope), the bug is one day closer to being completed and I had the joy, not, of discovering that I am on the hook for $12 a day insurance for the rental car which is one month tomorrow.  Ouch, a wasted $300+ dollars and no they won't even consider not charging it. Costs a lot to be in an accident even when its not your fault and someone runs a red light.

Love to all,

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,
    Sounds like you may be feeling a little better. Praying that the checks long due start rolling in and the inspection orders continue flowing in too. Glad you were able to find cheaper batteries for both vehicles.
    Sounds like you need to charge rental fee & insurance costs when renting out your motorhome. When you rent a car the ins. is extra.

    ReplyDelete