Saturday, August 6, 2011

An Unusually Restful Day

Dear Family and Friends,

This day started rather abruptly as the phone rang and it was a calm but concerned Nikki.  I had the important soccer bag in the trunk of the bug, I forgot it was there and did not leave it when I took the girls home last night.  Now it was morning, Soccer photos of the team were imminent and I had the bag.

So my casual morning was speeded up.  The bag got there and the photos were taken and Keanna played her heart out in this first of many games of the season.  We found shade under a row of trees at the edge of the huge field where the children played and it was just a nice time to catch up with my kids and friends who also had children on the team.

Once soccer was over everyone went their own way and I sought out breakfast.  Nations happen to come up first and their omelet was great and cheap.  I mostly rested during the day until this evening when Ray and Lois suggested a burrito at our little place in Brentwood.  While we were enjoying the meal Nikki called to suggest a BBQ they were having for friends and I jumped at the chance.  These are fun people to socialize with and Nikki and Steve always throw a very impressive party with great food.

Now I'm just home from the party and winding down for the night.  While I was out today I had some credit at the ACE hardware store so I picked up a tiny snake, the kind that you use to unclog drains.  I've had two sinks in the house that drain very slowly which is mildly irritating and has been for years.  No more, I came home and using the little snake cleared both drains in minutes, now the water can keep up with the flow from the faucet.  Its a little victory but nice.  Also when I woke from my nap this afternoon I looked around my bedroom and went yuk.  Pillows, folded blankets, breathing machine supplies and such were all over the room, it was cluttered and looked awful.  Funny I've not noticed it until today.  So I got up, put mounds of stuff where it belonged in the closet, threw stuff away that was no longer needed and uncluttered the room.  I moved the ski machine exercise device to a better out of the way location, cleared the recliner that has had noone sitting in it for years, plopped down and turning on the TV found the Gather Music Celebration.  It was a tremendous show with outstanding music and I just sat and enjoyed it.  I felt a strange longing inside to sing again.  Music has opened doors for me all of my life.  At 5 and 6 I was singing for Christmas programs for hundreds of people, at 15 I sang for the Oregon Gladstone Campmeeting with thousands in attendance, at 16 I cut my first album and sold it on graduation day, during college I made a second album and sold it to pay college bills, I've sung all over the world due to the kindness of others.  With the Stockton Chorale I've done Notre Dame in Paris, Saint Stephens in Austria, major concert halls in Australia and New Zealand and even Carnegie Hall in New York.  The voice God gave me has opened doors, created experiences, helped me persuade Nan to consider marrying me, helped in ministry, then helped with the Roger Peden Chorale and then the Adoration Singers.
I think I can once again sing, not like before but I think I can and why not.  So I feel the crack of a new door opening.

After a rather terrible day yesterday today has been a blessing of peace and calm.  For that I am thankful.

I just want to mention someone who has never given up on me, that is Dolly Vogel, she is faithful in her emails encouraging me and I just want to say how much I appreciate her kindness.

Sending love to all,

Here are a few photos of my very special kiddos:




No comments:

Post a Comment