Monday, June 27, 2011

Jury Duty completed!

Dear Fellow Struggler on the road of life,

As you know I was up very late last night completing the appraisals so it was with some difficulty that I rose this morning.  Starr looked at me as if to say, we just go to the bed and now we are up, why?

The promised abundant parking surrounding the new court house was a lie, I ended up parking a long ways away and walking quickly to the security system where a very funny guy helped us get through.  About 65 of us appeared as directed and after about an hour we had our first talk by a judge, rah rah, you wonderful citizens etc and now sit down and wait.  Awhile later a second judge came to talk to us and told us all the cases but one had been settled in one manner or another.  That one could keep us hanging and we might have to come back Tuesday morning at 9.  We were to call in this evening. 

Mid morning an order came in via text message, I jumped on it and got it, then called and found out the condo was empty, located in Rossmoor, a retirement area of Walnut Creek and that I could use my special key.  So once we were released for the day about 11:30 I went to nearby Olive Garden and had salad.  Then home to research and then back to Walnut Creek to do the job.  I had a pleasant time with the weather cooling as I measured and shot photos.  It had so many angles to the walls that on first sight you just moan but then you start with all the straight walls and make the others fit.  After shooting the comps I decided on Red Robin and had a garden burger on wheat bun, side salad and water.  Only $8 bucks and it was perfect food.

Now I'm home and am enjoying the rapidly cooling evening with winds that blow all the hot air out of the house.  While I was eating I called the court number and learned to my utter delight that we were all released and would not be bothered again for a full year.  Yea!

Of course the mail box brought no money again today, that was a low point for the day, there are a growing number of things that must be paid if I'm to stay in business not even considering that another house payment is due.  I'm sure ready for that miracle!

This afternoon another order came in, this one with a larger fee than most and in nearby Rio Vista.  I've reached out via email to the agent to see if I can see it tomorrow and I'll write up the one I inspected today so in spite of no money I'm doing every thing I can to generate future income.

Mingling with the 65 potential jurors was interesting, it was fun to break the ice with a smile and some little comment and then have people open up to talk, to complain or to just pass the time.  One lady was a wiz with iphones and showed me how to tether the iphone to a computer instead of using an expensive internet provider.  She also showed me things about facebook but I sort of got lost there.

So all in all it was a very good day and I'm thankful for having had a chance to live it.

I'm also thankful that Jason and family got home safely last night about 11:30 and brought cousin Clayton back with them to visit.  Julie is in asia with her father who is ailing.

Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment