Sunday, April 29, 2012

Jason and Jo do great on the Highway 1. Keanna turns 9 tomorrow!

Today I think Jason and Jo will sleep well, they certainly deserve to.  They climbed out at 2 am this morning to car pool down to the staging area.  They encountered dense fog, very steep hills, cold temperatures and a time limit since the Highway had to be opened back up at 1 pm, just 6 hours from the start of the race.  Jo worked with her team and enjoyed her many miles but Jason was working alone.  Using all the techniques he has learned he managed the steep 5% grade hills, the fog, the headwinds but the time limit eventually caught up with him preventing him from finishing the last few miles.  But get this he ran 23 miles!  And not only that afterwards he walked around well and we  enjoyed a nice lunch with Clayton, Jo, Mia, Timothy and Jason in Monterey.  What an exciting time we all had.  I cannot begin to imagine what 23 miles must feel like.  The most I've ever done before was 5 miles in a run over at Half Moon Bay.
So I'm very proud of them tonight.  Jason and Jo have been working up to this for months, often Jason would log many miles on a Sunday morning and recently he ran a 1/2 marathon, 13.1 miles.  He said that at that point today he felt great so he is thinking about just doing those instead of the dreaded 26.2 miles.

After we arrived back at the house they let themselves wind down a bit and I packed up the motorhome.  It did a great job on this trip getting about 10 miles per gallon.  The power jacks worked perfectly, the awning was nice and the furnace took the chill off during my shower this morning.  Now its back in the driveway and on Tuesday I take it in for its $3400 of repairs to fix what my last renter did to it on my own block as he sideswiped a Saab.

I come home to a pretty big workload and I'll be at it early in the morning, several things are due tomorrow and a couple of them are very challenging, almost impossible, those take a bit longer.

I've come to accept the saying that chance is vacation.  I know I only drove down yesterday but so much happened that was special, it was worth the 4 hours of driving, the $100 for fuel just to get to play with Timothy and hold Mia though I could have gone the rest of my life without that diaper she presented me with this morning, not for the weak of heart!  Clayton disappears that a diaper is involved.  There is a lot to be said for potty training when the time comes along in the 3's.  Yet Mia was so helpful, she didn't move a muscle and just waited while old bumble fingers took care of it.

Tomorrow Keanna turns 9.  She is thrilled about it, can't wait and today Nikki took she and her friends to the Oakland Zoo for the day and then to California Pizza Kitchen.  Tomorrow evening we'll celebrate with her at the place of her choosing.  Hard to believe and accept that she is growing up so fast.  She is a very exciting child, does great in school, knows so much and has so much energy.  Is a good big sister and sure adds excitement to this old house when she and her sister come to visit.

Love to all

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment