Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Spin class

Have I told you about spin class?  Perhaps some of you do not realize that in 30 minutes you get a chance to witness your life being spilled out over your forehead and onto the floor, it is a constant stream of sweat, the heart beats so fast that it is louder than the blaring rock music, played at that volume so you don't get a chance to even consider the extreme limits you are pushing your body to.  The room is about 50 degrees when you walk in but in a matter of 12 minutes becomes over 80 or at least it feels like it.  Surrounded by attractive young women in their pretty little outfits one shrinks in an attempt not to be noticed, funny how the young women appear much older when they drag their sweat stained dying bodies out the door at the end of class.  All the time our beloved Kim sends encouraging messages to us over the din of the music, looking good, lets climb this last mountain, was it McKinley?  Or Everest?  And then the coasting down the other side, legs and feet spinning so fast that if anything went wrong one would be missing a limb.  Oh and did I mention I pay $55 a month for this honor, of losing 5 pounds of precious body fluids in 30 minutes so you can stagger down the stairs as a group.  Welcome to spin class.  And then she dares invite you to stay and take the next 60 minute class where "things get serious".  I run from the building to avoid being snatched into the next serious class.  On many a tombstone it says, He left us in spinning class!
So why go?  Well why not?  Can't have that kind of life changing experience anyplace else short of a Pentecostal service and Kim looks so much better than a wild eyed southern preacher.
Actually compared to the rest of the day spin class was down right exciting.
I walked, then I drove to Hayward where I met a nice lady speaking Chinese, her son spoke perfect English and interpreted for us.  The entire two story home had no furniture, only mats to sleep on.  The people were lovely, kind and very polite.  And the entire appraisal was conducted in the cool crisp morning with fog swirling around on every side.  It was just the kind of morning I love.  Once I was completed with the inspection I then turned to Pittsburgh to conduct a drive by appraisal review.  Already in my possession are the 39 page original appraisal and a 4 page review.  Now someone at MetLife wants another review, this time a drive by one but you know, since they are willing to pay for it, I will comply.
Once I finished in Pittsburgh I headed home to pick up Keanna from her first day at school.  She marched out looking pleased in her new school clothes.  She was full of news, her new teacher was great, she had saved her bathroom pass, not sure that is a virtue!, there were lots of kids in the room she knew and yes could we drive to McDonalds for a snack.  An hour later and a full happy meal under her belt we drove home so she could change to her gymnastics clothes.  I took her to her 2:40 class and she did great.  She has turned a lot of corners and can do cartwheels, handstands, works on the balance beam and obviously loves every minute of it.  It is such a joy to see her enjoy her life and we have nice conversations.  She often asks me to explain words I use which I then break down so she can use them in the future.  She is reading well ahead of her grade level now and loves learning.  What fun.
Now fun for a Papa is something different, like going to bed on time and that is just what I'm going to do.  I survived a 3 mile walk with Ken this morning and spin class tonight plus an afternoon with the human dynamo Keanna.  Nice.

love

tim

No comments:

Post a Comment