Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An afternoon in the park

Sometimes you just have to take a meaningful break.  This afternoon after collecting Kallie from the sitters I just headed to the park.  I knew Nikki was coming soon but for a few minutes it was just magic observing the two girls enjoying the swings, the slides, the money bars and the warm afternoon sunny air.  Kallie tried her hand at the big swings today.  I showed her how to hold on to the chain and hold on she did, she gripped the chains, kept her balance and sat in the swing for several minutes with a huge grin on her face.  She was being like sister.  She loved the slides and would shout out, ready or not here I come and then race down the slide.  Keanna was hanging from the monkey bars going back and forth like they were nothing and Kallie kept an eye on her and you could see that she wants to try it so badly but at 2 years old, well thats a bit early.  Eventually their mother arrived and then they were off to another big adventure but for a few minutes I was in bliss land with no money worries, no order worries, just the job of little ones loving life.

Why is it we forget how to live?  To breath, to relax, to soak in the warmth of the sun or observe the ducks as they paddle by?  Days race by and they have contained little pleasure, minimal peace but are jammed with stress and concern.  It takes getting into the old motorhome for me to begin to relax and once I've herded it down the road to the destination then I can unwind, sleep like a baby and pretend that everything is OK.  I'm considering it this weekend, to take an overnighter somewhere for a change of pace, and why do I have to do that when I live on a nice lake with pleasant breezes stirring the water?  I really can't fully explain it but I know I'm more relaxed at Jason and Jo's place by the sea than I am at home.

This is the strangest time work wise.  No orders, almost no calls from a myriad of clients who used to order, there is almost nothing happening in the whole industry right now.  I now hear experts predicting that we won't recover for at least the next 7 years, frankly I don't have that long, I'll be on the street if that happens but of course living on or near the street would involve a lot less stress, well I think so.

This evening we had a lovely dinner with my friends Ron and Lydia Samoian at their home here in Discovery Bay.  The food was perfect, the conversation fun and it was a rare moment to relax and socialize.  They are just back from trips to Australia, New Zealand and to attend the reception for Melissa and Ryan on the east coast.  Oh to travel again, sure would be nice but then I think about all the traveling we did for years once Nan became a travel agent and found the deals.  Of course many of the trips were medical related but they were still trips and we mostly loved them.  Easy to forget good times and past blessings that were precious.

So I bid you a goodnight now,

love

tim

No comments:

Post a Comment