Sunday, August 1, 2010

Getting it all together, multi tasking

Dear Family and Friends,
Well Ken and I hit the trail this morning while it was very cool.  Our walk was great.  Once home I drove to Safeway for shopping.  The frig and cupboards were getting a bit bare of essentials.  So $75 later and with sacks filling the trunk I drove back home.  Once the things were unloaded and tucked away in their places I went back to the garage and pulled out the shop vac someone gave me long ago. Talk about power, it really will suck up just about anything and in a few minutes the trash on the floors of the bug were history.  Then I noticed how many cobwebs there were on the garage ceiling so I took care of them.  Ken had come over after our walk and together we thought we had solved the very difficult timer that controls the sprinklers.  For a couple months it has been coming on at least twice every other day, maybe three times and things are way to wet.  This timer looks so unassuming, just a few buttons and a little screen, yea right.  It takes a masters degree to even begin to understand the sequence required to control and set it.  To prove that point I came out at noon to find it had come on again at about 11:30 and sprinkled all over again, in spite of our brilliant minds and our work setting it.  Well now I was pretty ticked off, no little two bit piece of china made junk was going to stump me.  First I read the little instructions, then I pushed buttons, no luck.  Finally by a stroke of luck, not wisdom I found that by pushing two buttons at the same time, the off and on buttons that a cycle could be turned off, or course, that makes great sense, push the on and off buttons at the same time, why didn't I think of that?  Now I believe that the timer will come on at 5 am, work through its three different stations and then turn off for the day.  Would I bet money on it, no way, I won't be surprised if I find it watering at midnight!
While I was shopping the idea of a bagel hit me hard.  So in compromise I purchased 1 multigrain bagel and it was very good.  I found fruit juice that has 5 calories a glass, fresh peaches, soy milk, eggs for just $1.50 a dozen.
For lunch today I enjoyed a salad with a whole tomato cut into little pieces, I'm getting better at that process, lettuce, pinto beans, string cheese cut into little pieces and 0 calorie Italian dressing.  It was incredible.
Other tasks that have occupied my time include: going through piles of papers and taking care of what each required while I had it in my hand.  I finally have all the papers needed to apply for Nan's retirement benefits from Heinz and once I make a call in the morning to ask questions I'll get that in the mail.  I found questions from management companies that had not been answered, offers to purchase this or that that just went in the trash, paperwork to retrieve $63 that the state has of my money and has had for years.  I think Phyllis B told me about that awhile back.  So many little details to care for.  In another time I had staff to help with many of these things but now I am staff, appraiser, receptionist, accountant and clerk. 
Marilyn sent a sad email this afternoon.  She is with her friend Diane whose father is very ill and losing ground rapidly.  Marilyn is sitting with her helping her cope with this tragic next step.  Yes he is very old and has a great life but that makes no difference, loss is loss and you feel it like a truck hit you when it happens.  Marilyn lost Walt a few years back and knows full well what Diane is feeling and facing.  She is in the right place tonight.
In the morning I get to do Papa day care which will be very fun.  Steve has a job that requires that he leave early so I'll step in and help a bit.  It is so fun to help the girls have breakfast, load up in the car and then deliver them to where they go for the day.  Once that is over I head to Fremont for two appointments, would you believe that are just blocks from each other, that does not happen often and will help the day pass.  One rush appraisal was ordered without any phone number so I am waiting to hear from the company that ordered it.   Would be nice.
Today has not been a good day on the delta.  Twice I have heard the medivac helicopters come in to land at the park near my house where the paramedics bring the injured victims for transport.  Sundays are not a great time to be on the delta, just too many boats, too much drinking and way too many jet skiis with unskilled drivers going far too fast.
Well my friends, here comes the week?  For me a huge question looms, will I see enough money to cover the house payment that was due today?  I sure hope so.  I sort of like living here and I'm kind of used to it.

Sending good vibes to all and asking that you pray for little Timothy who is battling a nasty cold.

Love

tim

No comments:

Post a Comment