Monday, January 31, 2011

Shock in the mail

Dear Family and Friends,
When I opened the mail today the letter from Blue Cross contained a big surprise.  There was a check made out to me for $389, well that was great but the letter went on to say thats all they are paying toward the $4,500 sleep study.  Why, because the sleep study company does not accept Blue Cross, the two companies have no working relationship.  All of this was news to me.  My doctor's office arranged for me to have a sleep study, they all had my insurance information and no one mentioned that there was no coverage.  So now I'm stuck in the middle with this huge bill to pay, let me assure you I'm a long ways from paying the bill, there are avenues to pursue.

I worked on and completed an appraisal this morning that I had mostly completed last night.  This morning when I opened it the computer said parts were lost so I had to carefully reread the whole report to discover what was lost and type it back in again.  Lots of fun.

Then I tackled an appraisal for a property that I had inspected in August.  This is a quadruplex that was actually cut in two pieces and carefully moved several blocks to a new location so a freeway could be constructed.  The building has massive problems and has been a money pit for the poor owner, a great guy who paid too much in the first place and with the economy going soft now is upside down by hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The worst thing is there is about $100,000 of work that needs to be done before the property would be updated and nice again.  What a mess this poor family is in.  Finally in desperation they fixed up one of the units enough so they can live there and they have one other unit that they rent.  Two have no inner walls, no bathrooms, no kitchens.  The building has a wonderful carefully installed new foundation but there is so much work to complete.  There was a time that a perfect version of this property would have been worth $650,000 but now even in good condition it would only fetch about $400,000 and in it present condition its worth a lot less.  He hopes to use my appraisal to get his taxes lowered and to get the mortgage company to consider lowering his loan amount and payments.  To make this situation even sadder during the time he was working on the building he fell off his ladder onto a hammer which tore into his back causing severe damage to his back bone.  It took months for him to recover enough so he could once again start work on the repairs that are needed.

Mid day today I took Starr out to the front yard for a brief exercise.  While we were there the family with two little pugs came by and stopped to chat.  Starr enjoyed seeing her fellow pugs and even was on good behavior today, no biting or snarling.  She walked better after her time outside and it was cute seeing her greet the other pugs.

I am once again in the position of having almost no work to do.  I have one review to do for a purchase here in Discovery Bay and then I'm caught up.  Oh that I could see a bunch of orders come in.  This does not bode well for the future.  I'm told that there is just about nothing happening appraisal wise with any of the companies I work with.  Oh Lord please send work and more importantly send your guidance.

Sending love to all,

Tim

ps  Mia says hi

No comments:

Post a Comment