Monday, November 7, 2011

Back in the field on my own

Good evening

Well its bed time all too soon.  Where did the day go?  This morning the alarm startled me awake at 6 am, I crawled out of bed because I can't stand to hear the sounds of my alarm and I keep it across the room.  I found the room chilly and quickly located a big warm robe and slippers.  With Starr in tow we headed downstairs to make a mocha and get her settled on her pad.  I set her down with water to her left and food to her right.  It works and when something is not right she tells me.

I set to work fixing things that had been put off too long.  All too soon it was time to shower and get on the road.  The trip to Walnut Creek was simple and beautiful with turning leaves everywhere.  I took the Civic due to its automatic transmission, easier on my body at this point.

Once I located the home I was stunned.  It was a eichler, a special kind of home but this one had a very special treatment, clear heart redwood siding, a huge skylight, a very special garage door and gurgling fountain.  The owner came to the door and she was magic, a young designer who has created PF Chang restaurants and is now working on a private home that is 40,000 sf.  The home had been transformed and was stunning, everything was done in modern chrome, bright colors, a gas fireplace burned at eye level, the kitchen was clean and worth $100,000.  She was just as enchanting as the home and we talked of jazz singers, the arts, of beginning ones life over and of values in her neighborhood.  Before long it was time to go but after a hot cup of coffee and dozens of photos I felt I had been to visiting a work of art.

Of course the comps I had prepared were worthless since they had remodeled the home from 1700 to over 2200 sf so I'll have to go back to the neighborhood for comps.  It was a very nice way to start the day.

The second home could not have been more opposite.  It was very lived in and needs a lot of help.  Originally the trolley house for a rail line that moved people through that part of Oakland the home has a colorful history.  Not so colorful now, just tired.

Finally I made it back home and this evening have created an appraisal, now its time to hit the sheets, those wonderful sheets!

Love to all

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment