Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Home again

Well thanks to wonderful friends I am home tonight.  Do I feel great?  Well no I don't.  The offers of help were amazing and many phone calls came in from friends and business contacts.

This morning I drifted in and out, the surgeon made it clear that if I walked, could handle a normal lunch and could pass gas then I could go home this afternoon.  The morning was a period of drifting in and out of awareness as I was still coming off the pain killers given during surgery.  I determined to walk and did so several times.  I also sat in a very comfortable chair for lengths of time and then would snuggle back under the covers and sleep more. 

Lunch was strawberries, grapes, mellon slices, cottage cheese and ice tea.  I ate it down rapidly and felt no bad side effects.

When the surgeon came in he brought me up to speed, turns out he had to take out more than just an enlarged appendix, he also had to remove a mucous plug or a mass as described in the surgery notes.  In addition he had to remove a small piece of the colon.  We'll know in a few days whether more surgery is required.  The waiting is hard.

Mid day today Barb and Gerry Lammerding, long time friends from Lincoln City near Roseville, said they would like to come down and care for me.  That was like a gift from God and they arrived this evening around 7.  Moving about is very painful for me but I put together a little fire which we all enjoyed.  They have moved in and are helping with Starr since I'm not suppose to lift mroe than 15 pounds.

Just now we were sitting in the family room watching a DVR of the latest Hawaii 5 0 and after sitting for that long the pain was pretty awful when I crawled out of the chair.  I have three entry places for the surgery in my lower tummy and the entire area hurts like fire when I move or even when I don't move.  As much as I dislike taking Vicoden I'm taking it tonight.  With Gerry here I'll have a wayto get to appraisal appointments, he can drive and I'll just have to walk around the house inspecting and then back to the car.  It is a huge help.

This afternoon Ray and Lois were kind enough to drive to the hospital and wait around until I was finally discharged.  Then I rode home in Lois's very nice GMC Yukon, seats were soft, ride was smooth and Ray drove the Civic home.  What a great help that was, to be treated is such a special way.

How I appreciate the offers of help from LeAnn and Ken, long time neighbors.  Between Lois and LeAnn Starr was fed, watered and even had the heater turned on so she would not freeze last night.

I've heard from Art several times today and he has given me comfort and good advice, tonight Pam called and was shocked to hear what I had just gone through, she hopes to be able to stop by tomorrow evening.  Of course Marilyn was shocked to learn what had happened and felt bad about not being here to help, who could have know what was coming last Friday when she left.  At that point I felt fine.

Steve has been really terrific with his help on appraisals and he'll help more this week.  Jason and Nikki have both been super supportive both last night and today.

Once again I'm reminded of how good God is as He supports His children through family and friends.  Even Carol and Roger were supportive from far away North Carolina.  Truely I am blessed.

I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow but I doubt it, I've found that the second day after surgery is often the worst day.  I plan to stay home and do what work I can, then head back out to see properties on Thursday.  I'm hearing stories of the old days when this surgery required a recovery time of days, even weeks so I need to keep myself patient and low key.  If I had less work I would just take it totally easy but that is not possible.

Thank you for your prayers and for a wonderful Kaiser health system.  This is how health care should be given, they have a super team.

Love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment