Thursday, November 24, 2011

Interesting day

Today has gone from disaster to success.  Knowing I have trigger finger surgery coming on the 28th and not knowing how it will effect my ability to write report I've been trying to do as much as I can with very little down time, that is social time, relaxing time, even exercising time.

For example today I rose at 5 am, showered and came down to discover my computer had crashed.  A spyware had infected it and turned every file in the entire computer to read only and then hid them all.  Drive C did not work properly, the speed of the hard drive was wrong.  I had planned to write a much needed appraisal for a Milpitas property but that did not happen.  For some reason I had forced myself to do all the research for today's work last night so I was ready on that score.

At around 7 I started peppering my great IT guy with text messages, emails sent from my phone letting him know I needed his help.  He ended up working all day on my computer and managed to restore some of the functions.  Enough I think to get work completed.  He worked from his own home office by remote until my computer cut him off, then he came here and worked for hours.

Meanwhile I say a nice little place in Richmond Annex, a tiny neighborhood that is bordered by freeway 80 and 580.  The homes are cute, nicely maintained and they have views of the bay.  After completing that one I decided to see if I could talk my way into a second Richmond property that I was supposed to see at 4 this afternoon.  So I knocked and explained and the renter was very kind and let me do the work at 10 instead of having to drive back.  Once I was done there I found a Taco Bell for the bathroom and some burritos.  I drove to Oakley to a little but nice development where people paid $700K for homes and they are now selling as short sales for $370.  The home was huge, 3,800sf and it was cold outside, backed to a little lake.  The occupants were the people losing the house but they were very nice to work with.

After I had shot some of the comps I headed for the next Oakley appointment so I could be on time.  Imagine my surprise when the people said, no we cancelled the appraisal, it was news to me and I was irritated.  Eventually I found out they cancelled the appointment at 1:45 but since the person who was the go between had strep throat there was a break in communication.  They agreed to pay me an inspection fee and I moved on.

After shooting the comps for the appraisal of the big house I drove to Kaiser for blood work.  While they are good it still takes time.  Meanwhile I was staying in touch with Jim to see how the computer repair work was progressing.  The blood work went well and they drew out 4 vials, wow I miss that blood!

About an hour later I called the nurse to find out if I could resume taking Glucophage and after wading through several levels of a voice tree I finally talked to a nurse.  Once you get there on the phone they are terrific. Yes I could resume my meds and could they do anything else?  So I told her of the blood sugar levels running too high and that the cough was worse.  She wrote it all up and emailed it to my Doctor.  While I was talking to her I was measuring yet another home here in Discovery Bay, nice place, horrible location, it sides busy Highway 4 and has constant traffic noise.  Who would really want to live there?  I know I have to be fair and objective but,   who would want to live there?

After I finished measuring the house I came home and figured out how the computer was working, pretty good.  Then I remembered that I had intended to drive to Rohnert park and get the spa heater!  So I loaded up and headed out.  The traffic was light, the trip easy and amazingly the spa heater fit in the back of the bug, wow it was tight and close.

Now I'm home and it seems most days are not really boring, lots of challenges, issues, deadlines, travel, medical issues.  And sometimes I get to see my cute little grandchildren, that is the best thing about life.  Jesus has granted me these 4 precious little ones, all different, all bright and all totally fun.

Happy Thanksgiving and love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment