Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kaiser shines

Dear Family and Friends,

On this very cold evening I'm in the office, in the family room the fire is glowing producing heat to keep the creeping chill away but my feet are cold and I'm ready to find solice and warmth in my sleep by number bed.

This morning Ken dragged me around the lake in 26 degree weather.  Everything was white with frost and coming home was wonderful.

I set to work this morning knowing I only had 1/2 a day to work before meetings in Antioch at the Kaiser medical center.  So I settled down as well as I could, had things on my mind and was able to crank one out that will pay quickly and besides it was due.

I drove to the new facility using back roads, saves time I've found.  Parking was close so I lugged all this stuff I had to take with me.  I met with the diabetes expert for the Kaiser and discovered to my delight that she is a card carrying Seventh-day Adventist and attends Antioch.  We had a wonderful time as she plugged my old meter into her computer and read the sad story of high blood sugar numbers about 75% of the time.  She went on to show me how to take insulin and is a few minutes I'll take my first 10 mg to see if we can kick this high blood sugar lower.  Once I was through with the meeting it was time to slip right into the class, this was session 2 and it was very helpful.  I did nod off a bit but the things she said made excellent sense.  At 4 I headed to the pharmacy to pick up the insulin and the nurse met me to make sure I was up on everything.  She also added a heart medicine that helps the kidneys.  Getting started on the insulin, a new meter to replace my aging one, strips, needles etc came to over $100.  Wow I was shocked and not prepared for that.

Once I got home I put away the few groceries, acocados, fresh tomatoes, non fat cottage cheese and then baked a tiny potato, stir fried some brown rise, pinto beans and mushrooms to put over the little potato.  It really tasted great and I cut a fresh tomato up to go along.

This evening I've been cranking on a duplex located in Oakland and now its done and gone.  So bed time is coming and my first insulin shot.  Sure I'd rather not be doing this but high blood sugar can damage several organs so I'm doing this.

We are heading to a very cold night once again, the chill seems to seep in everywhere, this morning I worked with slippers and a blanket over my lap, just too cold.  Plus some decaf sure helped hold back the chill.

I miss my family but will see Keanna tomorrow after school.  I'm looking forward to seeing her but I'll still have to work while she is here.  Work gets in the way of so many fun things.

Sending love to those who need it,

Tim
ps please keep praying that God's will will happen in precious lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment