Thursday, February 16, 2012

Living it one day at a time

How I long for a time where there was some bright spots, some fun in life, right now that is just not the case with the exception of when I get to connect to the kids and their little kids.  I roll out and eat, then start working, try to deal with the conditions from the day before, try to get something new written before leaving to see properties, I'm so behind, I have this board with all the orders listed and their due dates.

Once an order arrived with an email message the next step is to accept the order.  That involves logging into their web site, of course all the web sites are different and require you to remember how their site works, so you say yes and if possible tell them when it is scheduled.  Of course that would mean that someone was actually answering their phone when you called to try to get an appointment.  Then you print out the order and the pages of special instructions that come with each order.  Then I fire up the old computer, log into OM and set up the order getting the order number and printing out a page that I then staple to the front of a reused manila legal size folder.

Once the order is set up then it has to be researched in public records and in MLS.  That takes between 10 and 30 minutes.  Then the date for the visit is put on the board and in the book and at the right time, day I leave to arrive there on time to inspect, photograph every room and write details down.  Then after leaving the house I drive the other sales that I've found in the neighborhood shooting photos of each one without getting any human beings in the photos.  Then its a trip back to the office and when possible starting to write up the file.  It could take 2 hours or a full day depending on the property.  Once I'm through I lock it up as a pdf file, encrypt it and go back to the web site, open it up and attach the appraisal file in both xml and pdf versions, click the button and wait while it is downloaded.  If I'm lucky I don't hear about it again but more likely some little minion goes over it with a computer program to find any little flaw, they then sent a request for revisions which requires that I go through the whole process again, open the report, fix it, relock it and then open the web site and resubmit.  All of this for about $150 dollars less than I made 3 years ago.  No wonder if I'm awake I'm working, driving to work or dealing with conditions.  Now in the old days  person could actually make a good living, not so now, there is just not enough time to do so.  Yet at 63 I'm probably not going to starting a new job in a new field.

Today has been tough with lots of coughing, very sore chest from repeated coughing and a right eye that is refusing to work properly, that has my attention so tomorrow afternoon I'm having some sort of eye exam at Kaiser.  I hope they can help but I'm concerned that the diabetes might have caused some damage to the eye.

I signed up this evening for Christian Mingle, they seem to have a lot of really nice people many of whom live nearby and are my age or close to may age.  perhaps out of the site I can meet a new friend.

Well I keep thinking about losing the MBA calm, somehow I need to find the right way to let the peace of the Lord fill my heart day by day and instead of fighting my work to relax and enjoy, treasure it.

Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment