Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Sad Service

Her name was Jennie, a person I've never met but through her mother and dad I've felt I knew her a bit.  One of two children she was 40 when last Tuesday she died.

This morning Patty and I attended the service for her.  We knew her mom and dad well as they were part of the grief group we attended at the local church.  Pastor Dan led that group and gradually we grew to know each other.  The Tiptons were there because Dave was struggling with Multi meloma and sometimes had great weeks, other times they were terrible.  A fireman all his life he was a man's man and a great guy.  We finally lost him about 7 months ago, then Sandy, his wife had a heart attack a month later and this week her daughter dies, perhaps as a suicide.  Pastor Dan led us through a very remarkable service and openly spoke about how much we need to move beyond what is obvious with each other to hearing what is really happening inside, about how this could possibly been avoided if somehow someone would have known the suffering Jennie was feeling.  The church was packed with so many from the community and it was the right thing to go and be there.

After coming home and finding just one letter in the mail, something worthless I came in and rested for a bit, then baked a potato and along with peas and some other good things enjoyed a real meal.  Late this afternoon I was bored with doing nothing productive.  The Christian dish was fading in and out due to past wind storms and even after I found a long extended pole and pushed on it the service still was not perfect.

So I decided I would try to trim some bushes in the front yard, dump the motorhome tanks, park the motorhome back beside the garage, start the weedeater (never an easy process) and give some attention to my front yard.  Well of course the 4 stroke weedeater did not want to cooperate at all and I discovered a broken line that carried excess fuel back to the tank.  A quick trip to Ace solved that and then it still would not start.  So for the first time in my 63 year old life I used starter fluid.  And after a few cranks it tried to start, then it tried more and finally it came to life.  I was so pleased, felt like I won the lottery.  I quickly used it to trim the edges of the lawn, cut out all stray weeds growing up through the driveway and then I attached the blower and blew it all into the street.  Feeling like I was on a winning streak I pulled out the lawn mower and it started on the first pull.  Quickly the front lawn was knocked down and tonight as it rains everything looks much better.  I am so sore from actually doing something but its a very good sore!  I think you know what I mean.

During the day I heard from Nikki who was driving back with the girls up Highway 99.  They were hoping to stop and see friends but I've not heard. I do know they were all looking forward to sleeping in their own beds tonight, hotel beds are different.  But they got to visit their Grandmother and ride her ponys, stay the night there and that is a very important part of the trip.

Tomorrow morning I'm driving to Pollock Pines and I'm hoping that there is not snow falling up there.  I'm doing one of those personal appraisals for a private individual and it will be cash at the time of inspection.  It will be a nice adventure and I pray for traveling mercies as we used to say, I like that term.

Patty and I talked about some of our religious journey today and we both decided that knowing how to love like Jesus is the bottom line of being connected to Heaven.  Yes there are rules for living, commandments which protect us from sadness and pain but most importantly is caring for individuals whether family or friends with genuine compassion and love.

Once again tonight I urge you to reach out in your own ways to those you love, those around you and hold them, listen to them, support them and let them know you are in their corner, that you have their back in this very crazy and fast paced world.

Love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment