Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The faithful bug has died

This morning Jessy came early so we could do some training, so she could walk through an entire appraisal to the finish and see what I do to the file after she is through with her part.

I needed to run to Bethel Island, about 20 minutes away, and shoot a completion set of photos for a home that was just finished.  We drove the bug there and did our work then headed for home.  About 1/2 way home the engine started roaring very loudly and then when I tried to limp it to town to the shop it made a sharp sound and died in its tracks.  I called Good Sam, my excellent tow service and Jessy and I sat watching the grass grow,  Marilyn came and picked her up and brought her to the office, then drove to the shop in town to wait until I arrived.

The tow guy was great and had the car unloaded and into the shop in no time.  I drove home, a few hours later Freddie called to say it was not good.  The engine had worn out, the cam shaft had worn through something else and it is his opinion that the car has died.

I've sort of been in shock all day since.  I've driven that car for the last at least 11 years and perhaps 12 years and it has served me with excellent mileage, great comfort and kept warm or cold whatever I needed.  It has been a total dream to own and I'm just 400 miles short of the 300,000 mark so I really have little room to complain.  I'm just thankful that it did not fail in the fast lane or far from home.

So I did my thing for the rest of the day using the Civic which is now my work car.  It has been delivering between 33 and 38 mpg which is very good and its running great.  So here we go again.  I took a look at turbo diesels on the web and found that Chevy is introducing a new turbo diesel Cruise which delivers 46 mpg, has a range of an amazing 770 miles and is priced very nicely in the mid 20s.  But my brother Jerry expressed concern regarding buying a newly created car the first year is it out.  I've always heard that too.  So tonight I'm in sort of mourning over the loss of a very good friend and rejoicing that I've been so blessed for so long.

Now its bed time, love to all

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment