Monday, January 21, 2013

Back in the field

Dear Family and Friends,

My work is certainly interesting.  I'm running a small business with a staff of one, Jessie and one very good helper, Steve.  Steve stays pretty busy with his own business now but I certainly appreciate talking to him and sharing ideas back and forth.

So running a business takes some work just to keep the doors open, supplied, data, planning, scheduling and keeping the books close to balanced.  Then there is the process of doing research so once I arrive at a house I am prepared, I know how large it is, how big the site is, what features they have on site, pool, patio, fencing, location etc.  Then there is perpetual search for the best recent sales that tell me the value of the property I am seeing.

The inspection is the high point in that I get to finally lay eyes on the property, see if its cared for or not, see upgrades, shoot photos of every angle, every room, front, back, sides, street, features, views, problems.  Then there is the actual measuring of the property which means I make my way around the house, over and under rose bushes, through muddy flower beds, across non landscaped rear yards deep in mud.  Then there is the interior inspection, noting features of every room, upgrades, condition etc.  Does the home have AC?  Does it need AC in its climate?  Is there an alarm?  Is that floor real hardwood or a very good vinyl substitute?  Is that granite or corian, what kind of wood in the kitchen cabinets?

So it goes.  Then when back in the car putting the addresses of the comparable sales into the GPS, finding and shooting them without getting the police called on you for intruding into their privacy.  Finally hitting the road to reach the next appointment on time, bathroom stops?  Quick meals!

Today I saw a beautiful home in Pleasanton on the west side of town near the upsloping hills, great house, stunning waterfall from an upsloping part of the site, pool and spa, sports court.  Really enjoyable property, large at over 4,200 sf so measuring took a while.  I shared the back yard for awhile with the non English speaking gardener who was doing excellent work but he kept getting in my photos, oh well.

Then it was time to race to Tracy but of course some had to do a header into the center guard rail of the freeway coming down the Altimont and traffic crawled for a bit.  Not sure how you drive your Dodge directly into the center strip all by yourself, but things happen.

The sun was great today so measuring was a breeze.  The last home was carefully maintained by a Tracy family, they were all there and so it took a little longer but that's OK.  They love their home and want to make sure I get it all!

Then it was time for a quick meal at IHOP, the senior meal with the spinach and mushroom omelet, great meal.

Now I'm home working and laying out tomorrow, very thankful for the chance to do this exciting work.

Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment