Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Feast

Dear Family and Friends,

How was your Thanksgiving?  Mine has been good.

When I first got up I came down and went right to work, finished a tough one and then rewarded myself by the trip to the garage.  The washer was in many pieces, screws of different sizes lay about and I had a few notes I had taken when we tore the washer apart.  As I mentioned Ray found the parts and now I had them, I could not wait any longer.

I set up a little table for tools and then rolled the washer out into the sunshine, I installed the was motor on the front of the washer and finally figured out how it all went together.  Then I installed the new circuit breaker, screwed the front of the washer on, then the door, plugged it in and there was nothing, I was bummed.  I was running out of time because I had an important appointment to keep.  At the moment Ray came over as he was leaving for Sacramento for Thanksgiving with Mike.  I opened the back panel and we looked at the circuit board, then we looked together at the little drawing I had made when we pulled the dozens of wires off the circuit board and the closer we looked it seemed the white and black wires were switched.  So I made the switch and tried again, it WORKED.  And after a few minutes of working the door locked red light came on, then it drained properly and spun like it was supposed to.

Well I quickly showered and hit the road for Lodi to see a movie with a friend but the movie was half over, the Internet had given out the wrong starting time so we picked another movie quickly, there were about 12 to select from.  We decided on Flight with Denzel Washington.  We found the movie far different than what we expected yet it turned out to be very thought provoking.  No matter how many times we tell the story of man there are always new nuisances to cover, new lessons to learn.  Changing ones behavior as an adult is tough stuff and the movie was graphic and challenging.

Once the movie was over we had an incredible dinner which she prepared.  It had everything one expects from Thanksgiving and it was delicious.  I have enough left overs in my frig to last a week!

Once I got home I determined to move the old washer out of the laundry room and into the garage, have you moved a washer lately?  Well they are not light and they don't like to move at all.  Getting the old one out was a challenge and I discovered in the process that the floor had given way in one place and the leg was caught in the hole in the floor, the laundry room will need a new floor as soon as I can get to it.  By using leverage and slow movements I was able to move the old washer gradually down the steps and to the garage.  I had gone to my wood pile and found a couple pieces of plywood from the old water bed base, that formed the ramp up the steps.

I gradually inched the new washer off the furniture dolly it had been sitting on for several weeks and onto the floor, then onto the two wheeled dolly and slowly started moving up the ramp.  It went surprisingly easy and before long I had the washer mostly through the door to the laundry room, then with slow and careful movements I got it into place, hooked up the drain and the hot and cold hoses, plugged it in a amazingly it works.  I've included a photo of the washer and dryer as they now sit in the laundry area.  I just can't tell you how thrilled I am to take this step forward.  They use less energy, less water, have a much larger capacity and are much more gentle to the clothes, I'm stoked!  And the washer even dings when it has finished.  Now the red light comes on after the machine gets started so the front door cannot be opened.  The front door can't be opened again until the water is spun out in the final spin cycle.

So that is the news from here.  Tomorrow it is back to work but I would not trade places with my office helper Jessie, she is working all night for American Eagle tonight, I'll just bet she sleeps tomorrow.

Love to all, yes we do do a lot of reasons to be thankful.  God bless you all.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment