Friday, December 24, 2010

Ready or not Christmas is here again

Well I've had a nice afternoon of Christmas shopping and an even nicer evening of wrapping presents so now I'm ready.  Nikki came by for a short visit and to take care of a few things that needed attention and then Art came for a short visit.  It was great to see both of them.  Art is so funny and clever, the most loyal friend one could ever want, just a great human being.  Nikki helps me so much with knowing what to buy for the girls and like her mother even herself at times.  Nan would often find, purchase, wrap and then open excitedly gifts.  She was a hoot, that way she did not have to put up with my getting the wrong size or color or style.

This evening once I got home I decided to move the wood pile from the front driveway to the rear wood holder.  Its been hidden by the motorhome but now I'm driving the motorhome to MBA tomorrow so the wood pile would be exposed to possible sticky fingers.  So I did my little exercise bit and carried all the wood to the back deck.  That plus getting up at 5:30 this morning has pretty much worn me down. 

Once inside I made a baked potato with pinto beans, cottage cheese and sauteed mushrooms.  I cut a fresh tomato over the top.  It was an excellent meal and very filling.  I turned on the christian dish and found the loma linda Christmas eve service.  The music was incredible, the whole program was excellent.  What a blessing the dish is with so many choices of good stuff and of course some dumb stuff too.  I just can't believe how some preachers act, crazy showmen, totally unbelievable to me.  I would not even buy a Yugo from them.

With candles burning, stunningly beautiful music playing, a fire burning I set to work to wrap the treasures.  I had enough wrapping paper from the past to do the job, the bows were plenty and they are all wrapped.  It was sort of fun, knowing I'm carrying on a tradition that Nan instilled in all of us, to make Christmas about giving needed gifts and a little fluff too.

Now I'm so tired I could fall over.

Last nights adventure was interesting.  No I did not spend the night with a 30 year old female nurse, darn!  Instead I spent the night with a young guy from Pakistan who was very professional and kind.  We started the night at 8:30.  It took him 40 minutes to get me entirely wired and then I went to bed.  The first part of the night was without the sleep machine, just bare, no help.  I felt I could not go to sleep but later he told me that I had slept enough for the sensors to tell the story of my sleep apnea.  In the middle of the night he came in and placed a mask over my face.  He then strapped it on very tightly so no air would leak out anywhere, it was much tighter than I've ever had my own mask.  Then he came in to tell me that his sensors were reporting that I had my mouth open so he put a strap around my head and jaw, no more open mouth!  That felt pretty strange and the air rushing into my chest, lungs was much more than I'm used to but I slept and at 5:30 he woke me to tell me I could leave, that is after he jerked off the offending sensors and left a greasy sticky mess on my head and beard.
So out into the very cold morning I walked, started the car and shivered for a bit before it found some heat.  Once I got home I made a pot of coffee and went to work.  I wrote an appraisal by 10 and then drove to McDonald's to meet Ray and Lois for breakfast.  I discovered they have very good oatmeal there.  Then it was back to obtain the motorhome.  It needed the propane tank filled so I drove until I found a station that could sell it to me.  Then I drove on to a shopping center, parked way out where I could find a double parking spot and walked to do my shopping.  It was so much fun to find things for people I dearly love.  I even purchased some plywood after consulting with Dr. George, plywood that I can place on the ground under the motorhome so I won't sink into Jason's yard when I'm there.  I've been meaning to do it for a long time, it was time.
Once home I tackled the wood pile and the rest you have already heard.  What a great day and in spite of feeling alone thanks to great music, Nikki and Art's visit and a quick visit next door with Ray and Lois to see their roaring fire and to get a Christmas present.  I was so touched and its perfect, a French Press, an alternative way to make coffee, I can't wait to try it.  Talk about a thoughtful gift.
OK, now its time to hit the shower and then sleep.  May your Christmas be what you need it to be and for those of you who are in a long term, many year relationship please give some thought to mentioning to your spouse how much she / he means to you.  Do it now while you have that relationship, you might not think anything could happen to change things and lets hope you are right.  Just do it anyway.  Love the one you are with with all you got.  Please.

Love

tim

No comments:

Post a Comment