Thursday, December 30, 2010

Under the weather again

Dear Readers,
This has been a day marked by depleting Kleenex supplies, throat pains and a ill conceived walk around the lake this morning.
Yes Ken persuaded me that the walk would be good.  Well even though I dressed for the cold some of it still seeped through.  I had tossed and turned the night away and woke with a fierce sore throat, head congestion and a strong desire not to face a cold room.  But the unthinking alarm clock emitted it horrible sounds at 6:13 and the day began.  Starr looked at me through blurry eyes saying what, its still night time.
Ken and I made it around in the cold and once I returned I stoked the fire and snuggled under my Alaska blanket and woke an hour later to discover that somehow I had the PBS children's channel on.  During the day I took turns working and resting and ran a couple tissue boxes out of supply.  I just felt lousy and nothing changed during the day.  I was able to get some work completed and this afternoon I was overjoyed to discover a new order that had come in.
Once I had the new order in hand I quickly called the agent, confirmed an appointment for tomorrow and did the backup research.  I see this newly decorated home in Pleasanton at 11 tomorrow morning, sickness or not.  I had been asking God to send an order, I should have ask for several I guess but I'm very thankful for the one order.
This evening I pulled out a box that I had been considering for months, a box that creates a pasta dinner.  So I opened it, selected the low calorie way of making it and added broccoli to it as it cooled.  It was a feast. This evening I've been watching past DRV episodes of the Closer, a very well written and interesting show.  I've had a fire burning for the last several days, once it is burning brightly I shut the draft totally and it simmers and chars its way slowing giving off steady heat and it lasts for hours that way.  Then when I'm ready for more heat I add wood, open the draft and let it roar.  This morning I was so cold and with extra wood the room was finally 76, very comfortable for a change.
Lois came to visit searching for books and books on tape to listen to.  I have quite a library here and she was able to find some Nora Roberts books that will keep her busy on these cold days and nights. 
I look forward to feeling better soon.  I really feel rough right now but these things happen.  I've been pushing the little cuties, those little oranges, drinking lots of water and catching all the rest I can.
So how is your winter going?  I know that some of you who read this have really cold weather to deal with and I salute you for learning to cope with it.  You must find it very funny that we complain of cold.  Our walk this morning was in 36 degree cold, not really cold by some standards.  Yet it seems cold to us and when illness strikes then the cold seems more offensive.

I'm trying to keep the mental state in check.  I'm bored, not motivated at all and am sort of hibernating in a way during this time between Christmas and New Years.

In many ways I'm really ready to move on with my life, to discover what is around the corner, to experience some togetherness instead of aloneness.  I often wonder what God has in mind for my life.  Its easy for me to think that my life is past, that real living was at some point in the past yet I refuse to totally give in to this feeling.  There are many things that I cope with that present challenges. 

So I send my love to each and every one of you tonight,

Tim

1 comment:

  1. I don't like hearing that you are sick again! Of course, this is the time of year that colds go around; I have a bit of a cold myself and have decided this year to try battling it with dark leafy greens and (like you) oranges and tangerines. we'll see if super-nutritious food helps, eh?

    I am happy that you feel the urge to "move on." That means much of the healing is done. You will never forget Nan, or lose your love for her, but I have learned that there is room in our hearts for more people than we might think. Just stay receptive, and wonderful things and people will come into your life.

    Happy New Year!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete